Viewing the forum on a mobile device? Try the mobile friendly version
Register now It takes just a minute to register your details - once you're an RHU member you can view and reply to rescue requests for help.

Notices

Share:
RHU Social Feeds A feed of posts from RHU's Facebook Group and Twitter. Join us at facebook.com/groups/RescueHelpersUnite (Note: posts may be unmoderated) and on Twitter at @RHU_UK

Old 1st September 2017   #1
Jod
RHU Team (admin)

RHU Cases: 8
Jod is a name known to allJod is a name known to allJod is a name known to allJod is a name known to allJod is a name known to allJod is a name known to all
Website Facebook Twitter
Default FORUM NEWS & APPEAL FOR RHU MANAGERS!

Dear everyone,

December this year marks RHU's 10 year anniversary! That's pretty awesome for a community built from scratch, and together we've helped many thousands of animals. Way to go!

Unfortunately, the community is in a sticky situation at the moment. It's been very hard to find people able to help run things, and on top of this our forum software is quite out of date and doesn't integrate well with the Facebook group, where we now have a lot more active members.

I was planning on switching us over to some new, more modern, more mobile friendly forum software but have never managed to finish the work needed for the switch as I'm busy dealing with requests etc. (and of course my family, job, etc.)

However, this might be a moot point now because - our forum hosting bill was paid up for 5 years in advance by kind donations from members in 2012, but this runs out in December this year.

It's quite expensive to host a large forum like ours and after some consideration I don't think it makes sense to try to appeal for funds to keep the forum going.

As we are a community, RHU belongs to everyone here, and I welcome anyone who wants the opportunity to keep it going to get in touch. I do not have the capacity to work at it any more but if you do, feel free to steer this ship wherever you can take her! There is a lot of potential there for a rescue community (we still have new members joining the forum every day).

If not, I think we will have to make the move to working primarily on the Facebook group instead (which for some rescues is the norm already).

That being said, (yes, this is getting a bit long winded, sorry! Hang in there, nearly done) I personally feel that I am going to have to step away as admin in the coming months, I'm sorry to say. I've been RHU admin for over 7 years but this year my family has grown and I feel now it's time for me to concentrate my time on them.

So, what we really need is someone excited to take on the community, take charge and perhaps start a new era of RHU?!

Whatever happens, I'd like to take this opportunity to say a huge thank you to everyone in the community, old members and new, for all the work done in the past TEN YEARS! We've done wonderful things and a lot of animals are safe and loved thanks to our efforts x

Jo
Old 4th September 2017   #2
Jem

RHU Cases: 19
Jem has a spectacular aura aboutJem has a spectacular aura aboutJem has a spectacular aura about

Wow! This is so sad. You really must've put so much energy into this and be exhausted. I know life moves on for us all. It's easy to- like me! - enjoy being part and not think about what holds it all together. Whatever happens a massive thank-you for all you've done.

My skills are only the dog walking/assessment/homechecks stuff so I'm no help. If there are people out there who can keep RHU alive that would be fabulous. If it goes I will so miss you all so much- RHU is the first place I look every morning to see if I can find an assignment. There's nowhere like it nor a better community.
Old 4th September 2017   #3
Jod
RHU Team (admin)

Jod is a name known to allJod is a name known to allJod is a name known to allJod is a name known to allJod is a name known to allJod is a name known to all
Website Facebook Twitter

Thank you so much for those kind words Gillian That is wonderful to hear.

It was a very hard decision to make and I really hope someone can keep things going! Just focusing on the positive and all the help we've given over the years to animals that really needed us, makes it easier
Old 7th September 2017   #4
Jazz

RHU Cases: 1
Jazz is on a distinguished road

thank you for being there for us and the animals xxxx
yes, most forums have gone now and its all on facebook
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5
Jod
RHU Team (admin)

Website Facebook Twitter

Facebook does make it very easy to reply and things like that, and it takes the burden off in terms of paying for hosting, so that's great. Just a shame there's not much of a system we can use there for rescues posting requests, no forms to post from.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6
Jod
RHU Team (admin)

Website Facebook Twitter

Update: I'm thinking we will shut the forum down for new posts from 1st December. This will give me a few weeks to clean everything up. I will keep a backup of the database and the complete members list so if in future anyone wants to take it over and get a forum/mailing list going again all the data will be available

I might look in to ways that rescues can post using a form from the website if that's easier than posting directly on Facebook, at least that way we can use a template of sorts. Will update as ideas progress.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7
Jem

RHU Cases: 19
Jem has a spectacular aura aboutJem has a spectacular aura aboutJem has a spectacular aura about

Is it a question of money? I know you must be exhausted and wish there was something I could do.
Old 1 Week Ago   #8
snowkitty
Rescue Helpers

RHU Cases: 17
snowkitty is on a distinguished road

Will be sorry to see the forum go Jo I have been a member for a few years now and witnessed a decline on not just your forum but our own rescue forum too which has also now closed. Face book sort of took over and made it easier to talk to people. You and your staff have worked really hard and helped countless dogs, cats and other animals so thank you for being their for the animals and us xx