Update July 2011 - Check out our new widgets for displaying animals needing homes on your site!
Here are some really easy ways to help crosspost rescue animals needing homes, all automated so once it's set up you don't have to do anything else!
(Or, the easiest way if you can't add the feeds as below - add a link on your website to http://animalsneedinghomes.co.uk - our dedicated site for animals in need of adoption)
Crossposting animals needing homes
with the power of RSS!
If you have a website that can display an RSS feed (e.g. wordpress in the widgets section) OR if you have a Facebook or Twitter account - you can easily set up an automatic feed that will post animals needing homes straight from RHU to your page. Here's how...
For website owners:
If you use software that will display RSS feeds, such as Wordpress, it's really easy. Just go to the 'widgets' page in your admin panel (or relevant tool if using different software), choose the RSS feed option from the list of widgets, copy and paste the RSS feed link (see below)
For Facebook users:
Get animals needing homes posted to your wall automatically -
1. Sign in to your FB account then visit the 'RSS Graffiti' application page.
2. Follow the instructions in order to allow the application access to your account (it's safe!)
3. After giving the application access, on the application page you should see a list on the left showing your profile and pages/groups etc. Choose the profile/page/group you'd like to add the feed to.
4. Click the '+ Add Feed' button then paste in the URL of the feed (see below). In the 'source name' box enter a name for the feed such as 'Rescue Helpers Unite' or 'RHU Animals Needing Homes'. You can leave all the other settings as they are or fiddle with them as per your preferences.
5. Save! The end.
For Twitter users:
1. Sign in to your Twitter account at http://twitter.com, then visit http://twitterfeed.com/users/new and sign up for an account with the TwitterFeed service (it's very quick and easy)
2. Once signed in to the TwitterFeed.com website, click the 'Create New Feed' button
3. In the Feed Name box enter a name for the feed such as 'Rescue Helpers Unite' or 'RHU Animals Needing Homes'. In the RSS Feed URL box, enter the URL (see below). You can leave all the other settings as they are or fiddle with them as per your preferences.
4. Click the 'Continue to Step 2' button then on the next page click the 'All done!' button. And you're all done!
You can display either:
- ALL ANIMALS needing homes - FEED URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/AnimalsNeedingHomesUK
- DOGS needing homes - FEED URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/DogsNeedingHomesUK
- CATS needing homes - FEED URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/CatsNeedingHomesUK
- OTHER ANIMALS needing homes (small furries etc.) - FEED URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/OtherAnimalsNeedingHomesUK
Thanks so much for any help you can give to advertise the rescue animals needing homes. Every bit helps If anyone needs assistance feel free to post here.