Viewing the forum on a mobile device? Try the mobile friendly version
Register now It takes just a minute to register your details - once you're an RHU member you can view and reply to rescue requests for help.

Notices

Old 2nd April 2013   #1
Ian

RHU Cases: 21
Ian will become famous soon enoughIan will become famous soon enough
Default Would you like to see Ian Duncan Smith put our money where his mouth is?

I received this petition via email and I for one would like to see Ian Duncan Smith prove he can live on 53 a week without difficulty instead of talking nonsense about those who are struggling so often. I'm appalled by what this Government is doing now - and I actually voted for one half of it - so I therefore thought it might be worth sharing.

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...Cyu_PlhQVCHjwz
Old 2nd April 2013   #2
k9love
RHU Friend

RHU Cases: 9
k9love will become famous soon enough

Yes I would. People underestimate how difficult it is on the dole.
Old 2nd April 2013   #3
Angi La La
Deactivated

RHU Cases: 15
Angi La La is a jewel in the roughAngi La La is a jewel in the roughAngi La La is a jewel in the roughAngi La La is a jewel in the rough
Website Facebook Twitter

I am ashamed to say I voted for the Conservatives, I thought they had changed, I thought they were no longer the 'nasty party'. I am deeply sorry I voted for them

I am sick to death of the rhetoric about 'strivers' and 'scroungers' - it's totally inaccurate when 2/3 of those on benefits are actually IN WORK and struggling to make ends meet. People working as cleaners, factory workers etc.

That Osbourne was on the TV earlier talking about how people on the dole are lying in bed while their neighbours go off to work. Yes, that may be true of the odd benefit claimant, but to label all benefit claimants in this way is downright insulting and offensive. In some parts of the country there are NO jobs - what are these people supposed to do? Thanet in Kent, where my grandmother lives, is a good example, there are virtually no jobs there. All the major employers have shut up shop or moved their operations overseas. The unemployment levels are sky high, but that is not through choice, the nearest major employment hub is London and that would involved 4000 per year in train fares. To blame our unemployment rates purely on people refusing to work is tantermount to a lie. To suggest that living on 53 per week is a walk in the park is another lie.

I taught for nearly 10 years in some of London's most deprived areas. The kids I taught had nothing. We had to provide a breakfast club for those unable to get 3 meals at home. In my department, we would often have to provide lunches for the poorest kids too. These kids didn't just have holes in their shoes, it was quite common for me to see the soles of shoes being held on with elastic bands. The families of the children I taught certainly weren't living a life of Riley on benefits. The gap between rich and poor continues to grow and this govt is doing everything it can to push even more children into poverty.

And what they are doing to disabled people sickens me. There have already been a number of suicides linked to the pressure they're putting on some of the most vulnerable people claiming benefits. There are 670,000 people affected by the Bedroom tax, yet only 250,000 new social housing lets each year - where exactly are these people supposed to move to?

I really hope the British public sees this govt for what they are, a bunch of elite public schoolboys protecting their own greedy interests. They only seem to have one priority - to make the rich richer.

Last edited by Angi La La; 2nd April 2013 at 20:05.
Old 2nd April 2013   #4
Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angi La La View Post
I am ashamed to say I voted for the Conservatives, I thought they had changed, I thought they were no longer the 'nasty party'. I am deeply sorry I voted for them
That was the half I voted & I am deeply sorry I did so too.

Where we differ is I'd never thought of them as the nasty party before, but of encouraging bettering ourselves whilst helping those in genuine need. To my mind this Government has gone way beyond anything Margaret Thatcher was ever criticised for - ie poll tax & milk - & unlike her is failing to develop an economy that provides jobs whilst trying to claim anyone unemployed must be feckless or lazy. They haven't a clue what it's like to struggle. A guy on our local radio station the other day has to find another 49 due to housing benefit changes (he didn't say if this is weekly, fortnightly or monthly) but he is disabled and his "spare" bedroom in fact houses a dialysis machine - utterly disgusting, particularly whilst millionaires are given thousands in tax cuts that the economy cant presently warrant!
Old 2nd April 2013   #5
Angi La La
Deactivated

RHU Cases: 15
Angi La La is a jewel in the roughAngi La La is a jewel in the roughAngi La La is a jewel in the roughAngi La La is a jewel in the rough
Website Facebook Twitter

I think Nadine Dorries MP got it right when she said:

"The problem is that policy is being run by two public schoolboys who don't know what it's like to go to the supermarket and have to put things back on the shelves because they can't afford it for their children's lunchboxes. What's worse, they don't care, either....

....two arrogant posh boys who don't know the price of milk - who show no remorse, no contrition and no passion to want to understand the lives of others"

Last edited by Angi La La; 2nd April 2013 at 19:53.
Old 2nd April 2013   #6
gemstersmum

gemstersmum is on a distinguished road

I agree with that last comment so so well and then with things squeezed so hard if the family have animals to pay out for too - not just food - that would be the least worry in a way - vet bills, extras etc then we all know too well what happens - then having to find the illusil ve "affordable housing" that probably wont accommodate the four legged friends. Not just the sick elderly disabled and unemployed even the innocents - the children and the animals are suffering because of these muppets.
Old 3rd April 2013   #7
Ian

Sadly, other than that I'd probably say there are at least three - Cameron, Osbourne & Duncan Smith - at fault here.

The petition appears to be growing fast - there were around 220,000 signatures when I received it yesterday if I remember correctly, today it's over 380,000!!

Last edited by Ian; 3rd April 2013 at 16:45.
Old 4th April 2013   #8
Devi
RHU Team

RHU Cases: 20
Devi has a spectacular aura aboutDevi has a spectacular aura aboutDevi has a spectacular aura about

I signed, but I don't think the 52 a week suggested is right. 52 a week is the total income for a single person, now I could feed myself well on that, even get the bills paid for that week, but thats not the issue really.
That money is per week over an awfully long time for a lot of people, now imagine you run out of clothes, all of them have got holes or whatever, so what do you do now? Get a 10 pair of jeans from primark or a charity shop, maybe two t shirts for a fiver from asda, then you have 15 off that amount, 37 for a week, maybe with this you can't pay gas for the week, then you have to pay that the next week, leaving you short then and it carries on. This is a really regular occurence.
Imagine you come home and the cooker is broken, what do you do? Two choices, you either just don't cook anymore, or you borrow to get a new one, then you're in debt, when so close to the poverty line, 5 a week to pay back is cutting out essentials, less food, less heat.
It's a horrible situation, I'm all for getting people back to work, but I was unemployed for 2 years after getting my teaching qualification, costa coffee even turned me down. I now work in a college for young people with disabilities and some may be on benefits for life, not because they want to, but because the working world isn't set up for those with cerebral palsy, or who can't communicate with others for whatever reason.
If people have no choice then they don't deserve to be punished.

Cyprus Cat and Dog Rescue