Viewing the forum on a mobile device? Try the mobile friendly version
Register now It takes just a minute to register your details - once you're an RHU member you can view and reply to rescue requests for help.

Notices

Old 17th January 2013   #26
Northwind
Rescue Helpers

RHU Cases: 131
Northwind is on a distinguished road

I think petitions can often have an effect. Just about two weeks or so ago, Greenpeace tried to stop Waitrose from putting shops onto Shell forecourts, citing the problems with drilling for oil in the Arctic. Waitrose tries to be at the forefront of ethical consumerism, and Greenpeace tried to highlight this incongruity to them, without success. A few days after emailing their members and urging them to email their petition to Waitrose, Waitrose announced that the proposals to put stores onto forecourts was now on hold in the light of overwhelming pressure from their customers.

It is not so clear cut to work out who to put the pressure on - how to bring the influence of thousands of dog lovers and rescuers to bear on the right people. Certainly getting someone on side, who is in the public eye, could do a lot. Simon Cowell - a big dog fan - currently supports the R***A, almost certainly being unaware of the harm they do. Bruce Forsyth has tried to push for mandatory microchipping after his daughter's (?) dog was stolen.
Old 17th January 2013   #27
Miasmum

RHU Cases: 23
Miasmum will become famous soon enough

Simon Cowells mother works at our local RSPCA in Brighton and he used to fly over to judge their little show. She has volunteered there for years, so he is not green at all. Mandatory chipping is all well and good until a) the records are not kept up to date and b) the thieves remove them with a magnet and stanley knife....

and ps to Julie I think the rescuers are doing a great deal. Just look at this board days after days...saving lives. All over the country people are doing their bit becasue they are passionate too. Saturation point came a lon time ago I think, when all dogs in the pounds are ptsd as there is nowhere for them to go

Last edited by Miasmum; 17th January 2013 at 01:43.
Old 17th January 2013   #28
kestla
Rescue Helpers

kestla will become famous soon enough

I have no idea what the answer is to the whole Too many dogs problem and it saddens me that daily dogs are pts as no longer wanted.

I am a member on Puppy Love and went to Demo`s as I have very strong views on puppy Farming.
I owned Eva the ex PF Bernese Mountain Dog with 6 inches of Spinal damage from beatings - she only had 2 years of freedom before we no longer could keep her pain free.

Maya my Pom bred in a PF in Ireland, sold in a pet shop, went through several homes, 2 Rescues before I offered her a home here - she has Phycological damage, a cigarette burn, damaged ribs and could only walk in circles - that was 4 years ago, she will always be damaged but is happy here.

Another Spitz boy I helped was bred in a puppy farm, pet shop sold, homed and eventually came here to be mended.

I think its now being recognised that the amount of dogs bred by Puppy farms and back street breeders is having an impact on the number of dogs in Rescue - there are thousands bred, imported every year - its bound too.

I also Foster damaged dogs for Rescues and do what I can when I can - its all any of us can do.
My last Foster came from Cyprus - a Min Poodle who was abandoned, a Street dog then rescued, no one could get near him for 18 months before he came here, he was sedated to be clipped too.
I did have the whole conscience thing re him being sent here but to be honest he NEEDED Help and I have the experience and space to help him. He won`t ever leave as he is too damaged and relies on my other dogs too much. His trust has been hard earned and he is happy here plus along the way he won my heart with his sheer Guts and the Bravery he shows every day in his rehabilitation.

A dog in NEED is a dog in NEED in my eyes and I Know I can`t help them all but I can do what I can where I can

I wish you good Luck and I will be interested to see IF I can add my signature.
Old 17th January 2013   #29
taratash16

taratash16 is on a distinguished road
Facebook

I have been left sooo angry, I would love another dog to keep my pup company and for the second time of trying with a second dog, failed. The first time was with a patteredale who's original owner had dumped her with a friend because she ran off and when he didn't get her back got another dog so couldn't take her back when she did turn up, that time she wanted to eat my rabbits so that didn't work, obviously from working stock. Then this time find an ad in the local ad trader, 7 month old bitch again, boarder terrier, this could work! She gave me the explanation that her 1 year old jackadoodle had taken a dislike to her. She was local so took them to local park for a run to see how they got on, my pup was fine, playful as you would expect, her dog that was obviously not a border terrier as stated in the ad, looked crossed with a JR, that wasn't an issue until every time Tasha, my pup went near her she was showing her teeth, not too aggressive tho so tried them at my home, just the same until a chew got in the way and this other dog attacked Tasha and had to drag them apart.
Old 17th January 2013   #30
taratash16

Facebook

any way the point of my explanation is that I'm lucky to not be sat at the vets with my pup having bite wounds and after going again on line to check if this person had changed her ad, to say she was possessive over food and wouldn't be good with another bitch find that her jackadoodle is also on there for sale, she tells me it was him that was aggressive to her and that as she got him first it wouldn't be fair to rehome him!!!! she said she was keeping him, both ads said both dogs were fine with kids and other dogs!!! there are just no words that I can put together to explain the complete irresponsibility!! any thing for a quick buck!! get all dogs chipped and licenses for owners of breading dogs then people wouldn't think of these lovely animals as a money making scheme.
Old 17th January 2013   #31
Angi La La
Deactivated

RHU Cases: 15
Angi La La is a jewel in the roughAngi La La is a jewel in the roughAngi La La is a jewel in the roughAngi La La is a jewel in the rough
Website Facebook Twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jod View Post
I didn't read the comments as being 'funny', just that a badly written petition can really put some people off. I know I've avoided some in the past when they're too casually worded or have lots of mistakes.

But anyway, let's not get bogged down with that

That would be really interesting. I'm not sure how much the euthanasia would cost but from a quick googling I'd estimate around the 50 mark. Anyone with more Council pound experience that could give a better estimate?

Kenneling is usually at least 5 per night, but not sure if Council's would get an ever lower rate than that.
Yes it's abotu 40-50 to PTS a dog, so it's often cheaper for councils to send to rescue. We save the councils we work with hundreds of pounds each month, and one is really keen for us to do even more work with them, but the trouble is, we're running out of rescues to take in these dogs.

What we are trying to do at the moment is to get the councils to spend the 40-50 they would've spent killing hte dog, towards getting it neutered by the receiving rescue.

Long term, that could make a real difference but the sticking point is that a lot of the really good rescues are not reg charities, so funding them with local govt money is tricky...
Old 17th January 2013   #32
john yates

RHU Cases: 31
john yates is a glorious beacon of lightjohn yates is a glorious beacon of lightjohn yates is a glorious beacon of lightjohn yates is a glorious beacon of lightjohn yates is a glorious beacon of light
Default PTS

OK I really do not want to know the answer to this question but I'm sure it will create a shock wave ? How many dogs are destroyed per week in the England & Wales, I believe Scotland has a different & I'm told better system. Lets try to calculate that cost & see how that no doubt huge sum could be better spent to better the outlook for mans best friend ? Is it possible to calculate that ?? These are the kind of facts that will help swing a petition are they not ! john
Old 17th January 2013   #33
john yates

john yates is a glorious beacon of lightjohn yates is a glorious beacon of lightjohn yates is a glorious beacon of lightjohn yates is a glorious beacon of lightjohn yates is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by john yates View Post
OK I really do not want to know the answer to this question but I'm sure it will create a shock wave ? How many dogs are destroyed per week in the England & Wales, I believe Scotland has a different & I'm told better system. Lets try to calculate that cost & see how that no doubt huge sum could be better spent to better the outlook for mans best friend ? Is it possible to calculate that ?? These are the kind of facts that will help swing a petition are they not ! john
I'm Pleading, Stop Breeding
Old 17th January 2013   #34
taratash16

Facebook
Lightbulb

Im with you on that one John, there def needs to be some good hard facts put out there to open ppls eyes to the sad situation of the amount of homeless dogs their are, most ppl think its just the likes of the rspca, etc that home unwanted dogs, its not till you delve deeper that you see the full extent of what's going on in the UK, we are supposed to be a nation of animal lovers, and a vast amount of us are, but it isn't enough. I would of gladly sought a licence for my bitch and of handed over money to pre book her spay when the time came, shame it weren't a law that most if not all owners would be willing to abide by! I will gladly sign a petition. too many descent dogs lost through no fault of there's!!
Old 20th January 2013   #35
Zanta

RHU Cases: 2
Zanta is on a distinguished road

If it helps, here's the link to Dog's Trust 2012 Report http://http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/a...x#.UPw-5R1daAB Don't think it will give you any information on costs, just the very depressing numbers of dogs PTS in a year
Old 20th January 2013   #36
taratash16

Facebook

I tend to stay away from the statistics, too saddening.
Old 20th January 2013   #37
john yates

Yes indeed the facts, figures & statistics will be depressing but no more than the gorgeous faces photographed through the bars of an undeserved prison cell on the green mile. We have to be strong & deal with the abhorrent reality of mans inhumanity to one of mother nature finest creations. We have to wage war on behalf of these victims, like all war's it will have many innocent sacrifices but we must fight until we can fight no more
Old 20th January 2013   #38
taratash16

Facebook

here here but knowing what goes on ie, the neglect, cruelty, abandonment, dogs losing there lives just because the they have nowhere to go to, etc is enough to offer support where I can.
Old 20th January 2013   #39
Zanta

RHU Cases: 2
Zanta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
The only chance we have is for legislation to be passed to stop all UK breeding for at least 2 years, and no importation of non-UK dogs.
I agree with this 100%. Unfortunately, the majority of people involved in any way with rescue dogs that I've seen comment on this point aren't willing to support a total ban. They want legislation to stop irresponsible breeders, but responsible breeders to be allowed to continue. The same people also support the idea of making neutering compulsory except on health related grounds and alsowhere the dog is going to be used to breed 'responsibly'. I don't see how you're going to get a compromise on that, even in the dog rescue community, let alone among the general public
Old 3rd February 2013   #40
john yates

Please see my other post in animal chat. I cant help feeling despite all our best efforts we are not going in the right direction, I'm open to criticism ! I have just watched a u tube video of dog euthanasia I didn't even know they would show such a thing but here it was for anyone to watch. We really need to ask our selves are we really as intelligent as we make out ? I read a post earlier about a 'high kill, non homing ' pound. Didn't a certain Austrian dictator in WW 2 develop & build such places ? Anyone on this forum will know the only real way to get this situation under control, but how ? How can we bring it into the everyday lives of people who can make the difference ? It would be quite easy to get a slot on Meridian TV, this is peek viewing time, maximum exposure ! It would only have a chance if it were was well compiled ??
Old 17th February 2013   #41
john yates

It's been a while since I had a moan ? Where wre we re a petition of any substance ? I have become like everuone else om the forum so busy with transporting that this has been pushed to one side but NEVER forgotten. My last feelings Im afraid were less than positive for the success of a petiton given the number of signitures needed plus when I watch the house of commons on tv I am sadly shocked at the way they ' the people who run this country ' shout and speak to each other, they would look more at home in a pound ? Maybe the awareness approach is more feasable & effective in the long run ? If we were able to publicise in the same way as the horse meat scandel we would really m ake some progress ! Pleasr forgive my spellimg & writing, I am now using a 7 inch tablet & need fingers like a fairy
Old 17th February 2013   #42
veronica

RHU Cases: 14
veronica will become famous soon enough

Hear hear John... If we stop importing dogs from other countries then suely we can look to our own. please out there , stop being do gooders and support are own home grown dogs and pups. If you care about dogs in other countries then go and live there.....
Old 18th February 2013   #43
Jod
RHU Team (admin)

RHU Cases: 8
Jod is a name known to allJod is a name known to allJod is a name known to allJod is a name known to allJod is a name known to allJod is a name known to all
Website Facebook Twitter

We're all entitled our own opinions on dogs from abroad, there is no right or wrong answer. I'm sure most of the people who are for helping dogs from other countries also do their bit to help the UK's dogs. Let's just be respectful of each others standpoints on that issue please.
Old 19th February 2013   #44
Toggledog

RHU Cases: 28
Toggledog will become famous soon enough

There is a petition being raised on this site http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/148203051997314/ I wonder whether the addition of Johns estimated figures might give the government a bit of a eye-opener ....
Old 26th February 2013   #45
ilovepuppies

ilovepuppies is a glorious beacon of lightilovepuppies is a glorious beacon of lightilovepuppies is a glorious beacon of lightilovepuppies is a glorious beacon of lightilovepuppies is a glorious beacon of light

i do care for dogs in other countries. but to be honest I cant see uk abandoned staffies killed and abide people who adopt from overseas just because they 'want rescue dog but dont want a bullbreed' a dog is what you make it. and a puppy of any breed can be trained to be the perfect dog, as long as you put the time and effort in. some rescues go to ireland and pull dogs. driving almost right past UK pounds, and ignoring the dogs being PTS'd there.. thats plain wrong.