Viewing the forum on a mobile device? Try the mobile friendly version
Register now It takes just a minute to register your details - once you're an RHU member you can view and reply to rescue requests for help.

Notices

Old 4th December 2011   #1
zee

RHU Cases: 6
zee is a jewel in the roughzee is a jewel in the roughzee is a jewel in the roughzee is a jewel in the rough
Default Dog and Breeding Legislation Petition Proposal - Desperately need your help

Hey everyone

So I have been chatting to a few people about the current problem, and posted a while back about some breeding legislation I thought should be implemented, and have been working on getting a good petition drafted up. I had a look on the official Government petition website at what petitions were already up there and there were a few already up, but they were very basic and not very well thought through and only tackled a very minor part of the overall problem.

I know nothing is fool proof and some people will always try and get around the law, but just because it’s going to be difficult doesn't mean its shouldn't be addressed at all.

This post is really long, but I really hope you can find 5 minutes to read it and feedback

Quote:
PETITION TO CHANGE THE LAW ON DOG OWNERSHIP AND BREEDING

We call upon the Government to take action in tackling the current prolific problem of abandoned dogs, overwhelmed rescue centres and countless dogs being euthanised for simply being without a home and a loving family. We have created this problem by allowing unlicensed and over breeding to flood our Country with dogs destined to be Put to Sleep (the nice way of saying killed) simply because they were born.

The Dogs Trust reported in September that the number of stray dogs in the UK has reached an 11 year high. They also report “126,176 dogs being picked up by Local Authorities over the last 12 months, an increase of 4% on the previous year which equates to 345 stray dogs being found every day. Sadly over 6% (7,121) of these strays were put to sleep in the last year by Local Authorities for want of a home which represents an11% increase on the previous year. These results indicate that 20 dogs are put to sleep somewhere in the UK each day, nearly one dog an hour.”

ProDogsDirect facebook status – 14/11/11 “3 out of 10 staffy puppies will not live to see their 1st birthday. 45% of the rest won't reach their 3rd birthday. In the UK one dog every minute is put to sleep and over 90% are staffies or staffy cross puppies. DO NOT BREED STAFFIES! Instead consider working in a dog pound for a week and watching these dogs and puppies being put to sleep”

Blue Cross website – “Last year (2010), the charity was forced to turn away more than 1500 Staffie-type dogs nationwide and the situation is getting worse.”
Various changes and implementations need to be introduced to stop the flood of puppies being bred and subsequently impulse bought and then dumped a few weeks / months later. Puppies are way too readily available on websites such as pre-loved, gumtree and local media, making it easier and quicker for people to grab a puppy without thinking of the requirements and consequences.

The only way to begin to hear the plight of these thousands of dogs is to make breeding less attractive to those wanting a quick quid, end unlicensed back yard breeding for good and investigate ways to educated current and prospective dog owners on dog ownership, support and ways to rehome your dog.

We propose:

1. LICENSES AND GREATER CONTROL

Anyone wishing to breed a dog must apply for and be granted a breeding license. Breeding licenses can be granted for just 1 litter or for a 12 month period. NO BREEDING should be allowed and licenses granted without an adequate property and breeder assessment.

1.2 A National Database should be created that registers information for each and every litter. This information will be the responsibility of the breeder to complete and enter onto the database and the local authority to chase. Information required should include bitches name, studs name and breeding license number, number of puppies, microchip number (compulsory) and final destination of each puppy (rehome information / date and cause of death).

1.3 Each puppy should ideally be licensed in a similar way to a vehicle log book (using its compulsory microchip number), when a puppy / dog moves on, it is the responsibility of the previous owner to provide new owner information to be updated onto the database. This would solve the problem of dogs simply being lost and not abandoned, as there is currently a huge lack of updating of owners details.

1.4 A National Survey of Rescue Centers, Shelters and Pounds should be carried out to ascertain the current most problem breeds and those breeds should be subject to a selective temporary breeding ban. Another survey should be carried out in 6 monthly intervals and the breeding ban should remain in force until a pre-determined percentage decline is achieved in each identified breed. For the purposes of continuing the breed once a decline is reached, only specially selected breeders will be able to continue to produce litters during a temporary breeding ban. Anyone wanting to breed a dog on the problem list will have to get specific approval from their local authority and an exclusion from the ban added to their license record. Once a pre-determined decline has been achieved for a specific breed, that breed can come off the problem breed list and all licensed breeders are able to produce litters from this breed.

2. GREATER BREEDER RESPONSIBILITIES

All Breeders should homecheck potential buyers. A dog is not an old car you can just flog on gumtree with a complete disregard for its future. There are plenty of websites and groups who volunteer to help rescue centres homecheck potential adopters and fosterers. There is no reason why such volunteers could not be used to homecheck on behalf of licensed breeders.

2.2 All breeders should microchip their puppies before they are rehomed. Their information including Breeder License should remain on the microchip for life and breeders should be responsible for their puppies for life, including on going support to all buyers and the responsibility to at least try and help rehome any of their pups unwanted later on in their life. This added responsibility on the breeders will minimise non committed breeders breeding, as it will soon become too much hassle for the profit potential.

2.3 All breeders should provide factsheets and information on the breed of dog being sold. People should be informed of the requirements of their chosen dog throughout life, to ensure new owners are fully aware of their responsibility. In essence, breeders should try and "put off" new owners, in order to minimise the risk of selling to people who really haven't thought it through, which will in turn minimise the number of dogs being discarded as they reach adulthood.

2.4 Updating of Dog Licensing Database for each litter produced.

2.5 Breeders should be responsible for ensuring new owners’ neuter their new pet and update the License database, when confirmation of this has been received. Good practice would see the price of a puppy include a neutering cost and some form of voucher redeemable at all vets. Each voucher should have the microchip number of the relevant puppy written on it, so that vets can ensure they are neutering the correct animal. After the neutering has taken place, vets should have sufficient access to the Dog Licensing Database in order to confirm the neutering of the correct dog. This would maintain more accurate records, by not relying on animal owners to update and would remove the need for dog owners to have access to the database. A neutering deadline should be in place in order for un-neutered dogs to be flagged up and investigated. If the price on neutering is included in the puppy price people will be more inclined to carry out and will maybe consider the financial implications of a dog before it’s too late.

2.6 Breeders wishing to breed from any of their pups or sell a pup as a breeding dog to another licensed breeder should have to apply to keep a dog un-neutered to their local authority and can only do so if this application is approved. If approved breeder should provide full information including approval reference onto the database when they update litter details.

2.7 Breeders should be required to maintain their litter records from birth to destination including new owners name and address, microchip number of each pup, which animals have been neutered (and further information on reasons why any have not been neutered), which have to be neutered by new owners (including deadline) and which are not being neutered for continued breeding purposes including if current breeders are using this pup to breed or if another breeder will be homing the puppy to breed and therefore this breeders license number.

2.8 By maintaining such a detailed Database many wonderful things could be achieved, in addition to addressing our current stray dog disaster, such as being able to track breeding dogs that have / are passing on genetic defects to puppies, identifying dogs that have been mistreated and being able to access history about the dog including current owners.

....cont in next post

Last edited by zee; 4th December 2011 at 16:38.
Old 4th December 2011   #2
zee

zee is a jewel in the roughzee is a jewel in the roughzee is a jewel in the roughzee is a jewel in the rough

3. OTHER

A National Website should be generated and launched to work in conjunction with the Licensing Database, including a membership area where all licensed breeders, Database Staff, Vets, Local Authorities can access a personal account and specific relevant areas.

3.2 This National Website should include an area, open to the public, where all licensed breeders should advertise their litters. Having a central location for people interested in buying puppies and breeders selling legitimate puppies and dogs, would reduce the need for puppies to be sold on places like pre-loved and gumtree (and potentially get into the hands of the wrong people) which could then be stopped. This would also very quickly highlight unlicensed litters being sold, which could then be investigated.

3.3 The database would keep a record of every dog’s life history, via the updating of microchip information. It should be compulsory for any person who sells or gives a dog or puppy away to update the microchip information. It should be made clear that any dog is the legal responsibility of the last registered owner, which would encourage people to update the dog’s details.

3.4 Vets should also work towards micro chipping each dog they see and cross referencing their owner details with those on the Database, to reduce the number of owners that change details but not microchip information, and thus reduce the number of loved pets who do not get found.

4. EDUCATION

Information should be provided to dog owners indicating the importance of updating microchip details and the correct ways to deal with not being able to keep your dog. This could be done by providing leaflets to vets who should then distribute to their clients.

4.2 Providing government funded “free” dog ownership training days, to educate people wanting a dog, those who have a dog, or even for parents to take their children to if they are the ones wanting a new pet.

We have far reached the time where we can be ignorant to the plight of the thousands of healthy, happy, friendly potential family pets killed each year. Our disregard for the problem has caused it to become exacerbated and the Government should realise its importance and act![/quote]

So now you are here, I hope you found it a good read and have some feeedback .... here are some questions if you would like to answer them.

1. Overall thoughts on the petition?
2. What problems can you envisage occurring based on the above and how can they become resolved?
3. Do you think that rescue centres could become involved in administering a database as explained above in return for government funding?
4. Do you think we can get 100,000 signatures on this petition?
5. Do you think anything should be changed or added?
5. Any other comments, thoughts, ideas or suggestions?

Thank you sooooo much

X

Last edited by zee; 4th December 2011 at 16:39.
Old 4th December 2011   #3
Jod
RHU Team (admin)

RHU Cases: 8
Jod is a name known to allJod is a name known to allJod is a name known to allJod is a name known to allJod is a name known to allJod is a name known to all
Website Facebook Twitter

Will have a more thorough read tomorrow but just had a quick skim and it seems to have some good points and ideas

Only problem is, I think the government are even less likely to listen now that they're making cuts left right and centre. Dogs are probably low on their agenda sadly.

BUT I will happily sign and maybe if we can get 100,000 sigs then they will have to take a look! Power to the people
Old 4th December 2011   #4
Ruth
Rescue Staff

RHU Cases: 51
Ruth is a jewel in the roughRuth is a jewel in the roughRuth is a jewel in the rough
Website

Agree with Jo, the Government is unlikely to utilise their limited funds to helping 'just' dogs. It is a hideous problem but the cost and 'inconvenience' does not currently fall to the Government, in the main, so they are unlikely to invest money in helping to alleviate the problem.

Although essentially I agree with all points and proposals, I am wondering if it is too detailed and too demanding as a starting point? I am not trying to be negative just realistic.

1.4 and 3.1 and 4.2 - I can see these points in particular, being perceived as show stoppers. Perhaps rescues and shelters can provide the education - following set guidelines - but who determines the guidelines? If we polled on here for people's ideas of the best way to educate and what should be the content of the day, it would start WW3 and WE are all working towards a single aim of rescuing dogs.

IMO and it is just my opinion, the key point is that we should bring back dog licenses, having an unlicensed dog should be made a criminal offence, same as it is for not having car or TV licenses, so police are given the power to enforce the legislation - that should stop some of the lowlife back street breeders and some of the thugs that use and breed dogs for fighting.

Having said all that - I see no reason why we wouldn't get 100,000 signatures with enough publicity. I would certainly sign.
Old 5th December 2011   #5
zee

4.2 I definitely agree with being a no-go from the start but its still something that should be considered

But in my opinion our Government throw money away on too many things that SHOULD be bottom of their list and its about time they got some pressure to get their priorities sorted.

Nothing will change without the Government making changes, even if they don't implement all of them, some of them would be a start. I guess that was the point of such an indepth petition ..... there are more things for them to say no, and maybe a bigger possibility of at least a couple of things being implemented?
Old 5th December 2011   #6
Ruth
Rescue Staff

RHU Cases: 51
Ruth is a jewel in the roughRuth is a jewel in the roughRuth is a jewel in the rough
Website

I guess there is two ways of looking at this - Pitch everything and hope they will cherry pick the bits they feel they could say yes to and hope that by possibly overwhelming them with demands does not put them off....... OR

Pitch one concise concept - dog licensing (that they used to have but stopped for reasons we should find out - was it hard to maintain? or did they just not collect enough revenue to cover cost?) with the risk they say no, citing the reasons they stopped dog licensing in the first place and then we are back to square one.

Perhaps we could present it as a two stage process? - licensing as the first stage, for both dog owners and breeders, with public information leaflets on being a responsible dog owner / breeder. Followed by stage 2, utilising the information collated and adding to it to provide a searchable publicly available database?
Old 5th December 2011   #7
zee

I was kind of banking on the first, give them more things to have to say no to, rather than 1 chance at getting a yes. I can amend the petition write up to state we propose the government implement as many of the following points as possible?
Old 6th December 2011   #8
Jod
RHU Team (admin)

RHU Cases: 8
Jod is a name known to allJod is a name known to allJod is a name known to allJod is a name known to allJod is a name known to allJod is a name known to all
Website Facebook Twitter

I don't think the dog license will ever come back for owners, it just seems impractical and so many people wouldn't bother, but definitely agree there should be licensing in place for breeders.
Old 6th December 2011   #9
zee

Yeah Im not sure that licensing owners will ever come back, but I do think dogs should all be registered, and there should be a way of updating registration details, without solely relying on the owners to do this, hence getting vets involved in updating of details. Maybe rescue centres could get some interest and support by offering to scan and check peoples dogs in the local area ... have an open day with this as a focus maybe? I definatley think that those who have access to the animals should all as a country work together, rather than so many industry's working solely alone.